Website Legal Action Worldwide
Legal Advisor – Somalia and Ethiopia
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in 12 countries in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most.
In Africa, LAW works in Somalia, Ethiopia, and South Sudan. LAW’s Ethiopia programme supports victims and survivors seeking accountability for violations and abuses committed during the conflict in Tigray and northern Ethiopia. LAW’s Somalia programme provides legal information, assistance and representation to victims and survivors of human rights violations and abuses in IDP camps in South Central Somalia.
LAW has an exciting position for an experienced and skilled Legal Advisor. The selected candidate will report directly to the Program Manager, Somalia / Ethiopia. The Legal Advisor will provide overall support with project implementation monitoring, advocacy and fundraising, including strategic development, preparing case files, and facilitating capacity building of partners and survivor groups.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION:
Where: The position will be based at LAW’s Nairobi Office in Kenya.
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension subject to funding
Salary: Competitive rates apply
Role Overview and Responsibility
The Legal Advisor will provide overall support with project implementation monitoring, advocacy and fundraising, including strategic development, preparing case files, and facilitating capacity building of partners and survivor groups. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
Programmatic and Legal
· Develop high quality legal documents including submissions, reports, position papers, legal briefs, complex concept notes.
· Support the building of casefiles for strategic litigation, including legal research and drafting, open-source research, and participation to evidence gathering as appropriate.
· Support capacity building of partner organisations through providing logistical and substantive support to the design and delivery of trainings on investigating and prosecuting international crimes, legal aid, transitional justice, sexual and gender-based violence, and other topics as required.
· Regularly update on relevant contextual development (political, economic, judicial, security, etc) and project activities.
· Support the monitoring of project implementation, coordinate the work of partners, and reporting on indicators.
· Undertake other assignments as may be requested by the Programme Manager and LAW management.
· Coordinate internal and external meetings, missions, workshops and other project-related activities.
Advocacy and Communications
· Support the implementation of the advocacy strategy and design products that can be shared with both internal and external stakeholders, based on evidence gathered from the programme.
· Contribute to the design and delivery of high-level advocacy events, liaising with panellists, preparing concept notes, agendas, flyers, and circulating all to participants.
· Coordinate and ensure that website and social media content related to the programmes is up to date and engaging to audiences.
· Contribute to LAW’s advocacy tools, including factsheets and LAW Annual Report.
· Identify potential fundraising opportunities applicable to the programmes and as per LAW priorities and policy.
· Contribute to drafting of concept notes, proposals and donor reports.
· Draft donor briefings to highlight LAW’s projects’ impact.
· Prepare presentations and talking points as required.
· Right to work in Kenya;
· Graduate degree in law, human rights, international criminal law or related field.
· 5 years’ experience working in the field of law in domestic or international settings, drafting legal submissions and other legal documents and reports;
· Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience in implementing legal aid services, working with vulnerable communities and gender programming;
· Experience working across insecure or conflict-affected and fragile environments, demonstrated understanding of protection challenges within the region and of the East African domestic, regional, and international criminal justice and human rights mechanisms;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English with the ability to clearly articulate complex information to donors;
· Track record of research and drafting skills;
· Excellent organisational skills and analytical skills with attention to detail;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong IT literacy;
· Demonstrated skills and experience establishing positive relationships and engaging with various stakeholders both internal and external.
Regional travel in East Africa will be required.
If you have the passion to support vulnerable individuals to advocate for their rights and relevant experience and skills, we would like to hear from you. Please send an email with a CV and statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the application should read ‘Legal Advisor – Somalia/ Ethiopia’.
Deadline for Applications: 18th January 2024. We advise applying as early as possible
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes diverse professional backgrounds, nationalities, and cultural, religious, gender and sexual orientations. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately.
To learn more about LAW, please visit our website www.legalctionworldwide.org
To learn more
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com